An update that fixes 11 vulnerabilities is now available.
This update for Mozilla Thunderbird to version 52.9.0 fixes multiple issues.
Security issues fixed, inherited from the Mozilla common code base (MFSA 2018-16, bsc#1098998):
- CVE-2018-12359: Buffer overflow using computed size of canvas element - CVE-2018-12360: Use-after-free when using focus() - CVE-2018-12362: Integer overflow in SSSE3 scaler - CVE-2018-12363: Use-after-free when appending DOM nodes - CVE-2018-12364: CSRF attacks through 307 redirects and NPAPI plugins - CVE-2018-12365: Compromised IPC child process can list local filenames - CVE-2018-12366: Invalid data handling during QCMS transformations - CVE-2018-5188: Memory safety bugs fixed in Thunderbird 52.9.0
Security issues fixed that affect e-mail privacy and integrity (including EFAIL):
- CVE-2018-12372: S/MIME and PGP decryption oracles can be built with HTML emails (bsc#1100082) - CVE-2018-12373: S/MIME plaintext can be leaked through HTML reply/forward (bsc#1100079) - CVE-2018-12374: Using form to exfiltrate encrypted mail part by pressing enter in form field (bsc#1100081)
The following options are available for added security in certain scenarios:
- Option for not decrypting subordinate message parts that otherwise might reveal decryted content to the attacker. Preference mailnews.p7m_subparts_external needs to be set to true for added security.
The following upstream changes are included:
- Thunderbird will now prompt to compact IMAP folders even if the account is online - Fix various problems when forwarding messages inline when using "simple" HTML view
The following tracked packaging changes are included:
- correct requires and provides handling (boo#1076907) - reduce memory footprint with %ix86 at linking time via additional compiler flags (boo#1091376) - Build from upstream source archive and verify source signature (boo#1085780)
To install this openSUSE Security Update use the SUSE recommended installation methods like YaST online_update or "zypper patch".
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product:
- SUSE Package Hub for SUSE Linux Enterprise 12:
zypper in -t patch openSUSE-2018-701=1
- SUSE Package Hub for SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 (x86_64):